Wednesday 19 June 2019

Rebuilding after World War 2: A new form of architecture

I’m John Eilermann, World War II history enthusiast. I love reading and researching about this period because I believe we can learn more about ourselves from this period than any other era in human history. I also believe that so much from World War II has contributed to how our world is today. And that includes architecture.

Image source: dezeen.com

Image source: essentialhome.eu
After WWII ended, the ‘midcentury modern’ movement started among architects. It was an extremely popular form of architecture that lasted for almost four decades. One of the most drawing appeals of midcentury modern architecture stemmed from the mix of innovation and integration (with nature). Because of this movement, many communities all across the United States overhauled their housing plans.

Midcentury modern architecture owes its existence to architects who escaped the Nazis and migrated to the U.S. In the U.S., these brilliant minds shared their ideas at top architectural and design schools, forever revolutionizing the craft and changing the look and feel of homes everywhere.

Along with the avant-garde design, midcentury modern architecture also made good use of new materials such as plywood and more modern ways of building homes. The result were taller and wider windows, smaller steps, multiple views from homes, and most significantly, flat planes that created a distinct geometric look for houses.

Hi! I'm John Eilermann. I’ve loved reading about World War II since I was young. I’m also a huge football fanatic. Check out my Twitter page for more on the stuff I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment